Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Hump Day Hot Ticket: We Love the Underground “Kids in the Park”

Band photo

If you are a regular visitor to this blog, you might notice that there are certain regional music scenes that I cover more than others. One of these is the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan area, which fosters quite an abundant music scene: A Sound of Thunder, Thrillkiller (formed by ex-members of another Baltimore band, Aries), Master Sword, Omnislash, Iris Divine (who I will be reviewing next week!), and this week's feature, We Love the Underground.

I can't help that I keep featuring bands from this area, but there is truly something special going on out there that deserves notice. The amount of talent pouring out of that region is almost insane. Very much like the Seattle scene in the early ’90s, there hasn't been a band from Baltimore over the past several years that I've heard yet that I didn't like. 

While there is a certain sound that identifies this scene, each band is so different; none of them sound alike, yet they all play off each other in this big community of professional camaraderie. That is probably what I find most fascinating about these bands (outside of the music, of course): they are all friends, the bands constantly work together (guesting on each other's projects, filling in at gigs for injured bandmembers), and encourage one another in their success. I do not see any type of professional rivalry, jealousy, or competition. All of the bands build each other up and promote one another nearly as much as their own projects. While this is not a rarity among local music scenes, I have never seen it operate at such a level as with this region. Perhaps this is part of their appeal. Maybe it adds that extra flair to their music. As I am an outsider that lives far away, I would prefer that it remains a mystery to me.

So once again, while making my twice-a-week musical journey around the globe, I make yet another stop in Baltimore; this time to review the video for “Kids in the Park” from We Love the Underground. As soon as the video begins, we see one of the bandmembers representing hometown love by wearing a Baltimore t-shirt. The vocals remind me a little of the late Scott Weiland (this is a compliment, by the way!), but more aggressive. Just a straight-up rock band. I like it.

The video itself is not much more than the band jamming in some kind of empty garage or rehearsal space. Very straightforward, just like their music.

For more information on We Love the Underground, visit their official website.


No comments:

Post a Comment